This hive was causing problems this summer and I combined a nuc with the weak colony in the WBC. After 4 weeks this colony has grown into the brood box and is looking good. It is looking strong and healthy enough to go into the autumn with a good chance of lasting the winter. Shame we did not get much honey off this site this year but at least we didn’t loose the bees.
The daffodils have opened and the chill has gone from the air so it is no surprise to see our landing boards full of bees laden with pollen hurrying into the hive to get that valuable protein back to the newborns. This activity suggests to me that all is well inside the hive for this time of year.
We will need to wait till it warms up a bit more to get inside the hive and have a good look around but with the large amount of pollen I saw this morning I can assume that there is a hungry brood and therefore a good laying queen inside the hive.
This is all good news and means that this hive has survived another winter.
Dropped into the Wallignton site to give the hives more room for honey.
I had made up three brood boxes with foundation which I gave to the two Nationals and one of the WBCs. The other WBC has two supers and the top one was still empty so left it as it was.
This means that
National #1 has a brood, QE, Super, Brood, Super
National #2 has a brood, QE, Super, Brood
WBC #1 Brood, Super, QE, Super, Super
WBC #2 Brood, QE, Super, Brood
Took away one WBC super full of honey. Harvested the lot this afternoon - a healthy 12 kilos of 11 frames. (See my honey production tables).
Dropped into Queen’s Park today and stole 4 frames of honey and replaced them with four frames of foundation.
This leaves the hive with a brood and two supers. The supers have 11 frames in each with 5 foundations in each. Hopefully when we get back from our hols they will all be full.
Spun the honey off this evening and got 3.75 kilos off the 4 frames.