It was a great night at our training session with the Capital Bee 2011 trainees. We had a good look at the hives and then we stole 2 frames of honey from hive 2.
Back at the classroom the frames was rapidly scraped clean of its golden honey and everyone had the chance to taste the first fruits of the bees’ labour.
It was glorious.
I swapped a couple of the groups so that they would have a chance to see the difference between a new nuc colony and an established colony.
Hive 1 is coming along well.
Hive 2 had more queen cells. Since the queen was seen as well as eggs and young larvae we decided to tear down all the queen cells. We can then have a look next week to see what’s going on then. Next weke may take the queen away and put her in a nuc box and let the colony develop a new queen.
Hive 3 strong and busy. The super we put in last week was 75% full of nectar.
Hive 4 is building slowly.
- tickets please
Due to inclement weather on our regular Wednesday night’s session we didn’t get to look at the bees so I dropped into Camley Street on the following day to have a hive inspection.
Paul and Silvio managed to find the time to join me and we looked through the hives together.
Hive 1 (nearest the entrance). This hive had swarmed earlier in the year and the new queen had started to lay around 12 days ago. We saw 4 frames of brood in all stages (eggs, larvae and pupae). They have still to fill out the brood box which they are doing niceley. The super box had some honey in it but there are still a few frames that need to be drawn out. I took of the 2nd empty super since they don’t need that now.
Hive 2 – I found 2 capped queen cells and 3 uncapped queen cells with larvae in it. We saw the blue marked queen. This might mean that they are superceding. I left it as it was so we can see by next week what happens.
Hive 3 was very strong. It has a brood and a half (brod box and a super box as the brood chamber). They super was full of working bees so we added another super.
HIve 4 (the new nuc) is developing slowly. I gave them some sugar syrup to encourage wax production.
I wrote up the notes in each hive.